How to Keep Good Tenants
Found great tenants? Congratulations! Sometimes, it may feel like a good tenant is a diamond in the rough. The hard work of landing a good tenant isn’t over after move-in day though, your job as a property owner is to try your best to keep that tenant. You want to keep them because having a vacant space will lose you money, but also, you’d probably rather not have a less-than-ideal tenant move in after them.
It’s your job as the property owner to retain good tenants. Good tenants will communicate clearly, effectively, and easily with you. Good tenants will pay rent on time. Good tenants will let you know about problems immediately. Good tenants won’t destroy your property (intentionally anyways, accidents can happen). Good tenants don’t cause problems with other tenants.
For the purpose of this article, we wanted to share some helpful tips and advice that can help you hold onto good-quality tenants for as long as possible. However, if you do not have time to properly manage your building or tenants, you will likely lose your good tenants – that’s where we come in. Our team at Quest Real Estate can help you manage your rental property and communicate with clients.
Tips on Keeping Good Tenants in Your Building
- Be friendly and professional.
- Create a business relationship with your tenants so they learn to respect you, and not just be too buddy-buddy with you.
- Make paying rent easy. Allow them to pay rent through mobile apps or online bank transfers.
- Let the tenants know you are available 24/7 in emergency situations.
- Be a good communicator. It’s not just up to the tenants to be good at communicating, you need to be good too. With good communication skills, you can figure out solutions to problems quickly. You also want your tenants to feel like you care about them and are connected to the building and the people within.
- Get to know your tenants on a person level a little bit. They will feel a lot more comfortable if you know their names and basic information about them whenever you speak or run into each other.
- Respond to calls or requests quickly, especially with serious or emergency situations. Tenants get locked out. The toilet is clogged. A fire alarm won’t stop beeping. The heat is broken. Whatever the reason, respond quickly, so the tenant isn’t frustrated and kept from living their lives normally. If you don’t respond, they will think you don’t care. When you do respond quickly, tenants know they can count on you.
- Take care of your building. If the paint is chipping, locks are broken, lights don’t work, windows are dirty, doors get stuck, appliances are from decades ago, etc. etc., tenants may not want to stay. With a poorly-maintained building, tenants will feel uncomfortable and may even be embarrassed to continue renting from you – it’s in your best interest to continuously invest in the building to attract the best-quality tenant.
- Ask tenants for suggestions on what can be better or improved in the building – you don’t have to tackle these all at once (or at all if they are impossible), but the tenants will feel heard and respected if you listen to their needs.
- Keep any promises you make to the tenants.
Work with a Jacksonville Property Management Company
Being a property owner/landlord is a big undertaking, especially if you own multiple properties or have another job. A landlord is a full-time job. If you’re unable to keep up with tenant relations, you need the help of a property management company who can focus all its attention on your tenants. The company will do all the things listed above. In fact, our team at Quest Real Estate can even find you the best tenants.
As a Jacksonville property management company, we are effective at managing the tasks for property owners when it comes to tenants such as collecting rent, dealing with the preparation of leases, marketing a property, and scheduling maintenance. Our experts at Quest have decades of experience in working with tenants.
We will communicate with tenants from their first day to their last. Our goal is to keep your spaces filled with good-quality tenants. You don’t only benefit from a good tenant, we do too!
We have been helping landlords and owners as a property management company since 1985. If you’re looking for a Jacksonville property management company to manage your property or find and keep good tenants, let Quest Real Estate help you! Email us or call 904-373-9171 for more information.